Art and Design Intent
At Saint Patrick's Catholic Voluntary Academy, we recognize art and design as one of the key forms of human creativity which enables all children to develop and express their ideas.
1. It is our intention that our teaching will engage, inspire and challenge all children to communicate their own ideas through drawing, painting, sculpture and other forms of art and design.
2. It is our intention that the children are taught the skills and techniques and then given the opportunity to practice these to produce individual and group pieces of work.
3. It is our intention that children know and understand how art has developed through centuries and how the most prominent artists have shaped our history.
4. It is our intention that the children will develop critical thinking to analyse and articulate their own opinions on creative works using art and design language.
5. It is our intention that we look at artists who reflect the cultural diversity of our school community. We aim to give children the opportunity to further their knowledge through access to high quality books and visits to local artistic locations e.g. sculpture parks, galleries and museums.
6. It is our intention that we will give the children the opportunity to express and communicate their individual interests, thoughts and ideas and contribute positively within and beyond our school community.