What makes a Saint Patrick’s Historian?
At Saint Patrick's Catholic Voluntary Academy, we aspire to help children develop as historians through a range of learning experiences that are underpinned by our key intentions for learning this subject:
1. It is our intention that all children will develop a sense of chronology and an identity based on their historical heritage locally, nationally and globally.
2. It is our intention to provide a high quality history education where children will gain a well-rounded knowledge and understanding of important periods of History that have brought about significant change in Britain’s past and that of the wider world.
3. It is our intention to inspire the children’s interest, curiosity and understanding of the life’s of people who lived in the past through first hand experiences, theatre , educational visits and visitors to school.
4. It is our intention that children develop a progressive historical vocabulary where they are equipped to become increasingly critical and analytical thinkers (ask perceptive questions, thick critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments and develop perspectives and judgements). They are able to discuss the impacted on their own lives and how they live.
5. It is our intention to help children to understand and use the methods of historical enquiry.