Design and Technology Intent
At Saint Patrick's Catholic Voluntary Academy, we recognize that Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject which should enable all children to develop their individual creativity.
1. It is our intention that we will encourage children to use their creativity and imagination to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and other’s needs, wants and values. This may be conducted individually or as a team.
2. It is our intention that our children will learn a broad range of subject knowledge and create cross-curricular links with other subjects such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art.
3. It is our intention that children will become innovators and adventurous where they are given the opportunities to test, reflect upon and evaluate past and present design technology, its uses and its effectiveness.
4. It is our intention that we will teach Food Technology which will equip our children with vital life skills. Here they will be able to retain and transfer learning in a practical, real-life context. This will also encourage reading and extending the children’s vocabulary by following instructions.
5. It is our intention to build up confidence in our children where they are able to recognize their own talents and acquire the relevant skills to enable this to flourish. We want them to take risks and become resourceful, pioneering, enterprising and capable citizens whereby they can contribute positively within and beyond our school community.
6. It is our intention that our carefully structured DT curriculum will provided opportunities to build cultural capital and enable pupils to become well-rounded members of society in preparation for later life.